Mayan road trip & bird watching 11 days
Travel with a private guide - driver
The benefits of a 100% eco-friendly tour:
A journey that brings you closer to nature:
- Animal watching: where the animals as well as their environment are respected
- Expert local guides to help you get the most out of your travel adventure
Included in your itinerary:
English/Spanish-speaking nature guide and anthropologist
nights in a Mayan village
- 4 nights in downtown Mérida
- 3 nights at a Tulum beach area
- 1 night at a hotel inside the Sian Ka'an Reserve
- All meals (breakfasts, lunches, dinners)
- Entrances to all visited sites
- Necessary equipment for all planned activities (boats, mask and snorkels, ...)
- Snacks (fruits and granola bars) and water bottles every day
About Your Guide - Luis
Luis is a guide of Mayan heritage who loves to share his knowledge of more than 15 years. He is committed to working with the communities of the Yucatán Mayan villages. He's involved in many projects. He is knowledgeable, enthusiastic and fun, just the type of person you want to travel with.
License degree in Anthropology (ENAH, México)
Guide's diploma - naturalist
Day 1 - Transfer Cancún - Ek Balam
- Your guide Luis will pick you up at the Cancún airport where you will start your trek to the Mayan village of Ek Balam, near Valladolid.
- Locals will introduce you to a welcome ceremony inspired by ancestral traditions and you will spend the night in this Mayan community.
- You will spend the night at Ek Balam.
Day 2 - Ek Balam & Valladolid
- You will start the day with a visit of the achaeological site of Ek Balam and swim in the Xcanche cenote.
- In the afternoon, you will leave for Valladolid and have your lunch in an old hacienda. You will then join Luis for a walk in the colorful streets of the city.
- You will spend the night at Ek Balam.
Day 3 - Río Lagartos & Chichén Itzá
- Early in the morning, you will visit the bird reserve of Río Lagartos on a boat where you will be able to observe many bird species of the 300 the reserve contains, like the famous pink flamingo.
- After a fresh shrimp meal, you will head to Chichén Itzá where you will arrive in late afternoon for a unique sound and light show, retracing the Mayan history. You will spend the night at your hotel on the Chichén Itzá site.
Day 4 - Chichén Itzá & Mérida
- Early in the morning, you will visit the Chichén Itzá site, the popular Wonder of the World, away from the crowd and the Yokdzonot cenote where you will have a lunch with a local Mayan community.
- After lunch, you will move to Mérida where you will arrive in late afternoon. You will spend the night there.
Day 5 - Uxmal & la Ruta Puuc
- This day starts with the visit of one of the most beautiful sites of the peninsula, the Mayan site of Uxmal. Being from this region, Luis could show you other sites along the Ruta Puuc if you are interested ! He will also take you to the chocolate museum as well as in a Mayan handcrafting shop.
- You will have your lunch in a local restaurant in Uxmal and go back to Mérida where you will finish the day with the visit of the Casa de Montejo. You will spend the night in Mérida.
Day 6 - Celestún
- Have another birdwatching adventure in the Celestún biosphere with another expert of biodiversity. You will roam the reserve by canoe, between mangrove tunnels, petrified forests, freshwater ponds and areas populated by pink flamingos.
- After enjoying a local seafood dish, you will head back to Mérida, where you will relax at the hotel. You will spend the night in Mérida.
Day 7 - Campeche
- Go to the beautiful fortified city of Campeche and have a city tour with Luis. Visit the Historic Center of Campeche, Fort San Miguel, the arches, the malecón and the markets.
- You will have a lunch in one of the best restaurant of Campeche, in a pedestrian street before to go back to Mérida where you will spend the night.
Day 8 - Mérida & Izamal
- Keep on your discovery of the Mayan culture with the visit the great Mérida market with Luis. This is the perfect opportunity to discover the best local products, in terms of food and local crafts.
- You will then drive to Izamal, the yellow city, where you will have your lunch and a tour of the city before to head to Tulum where you will spend the night.
Day 9 - Coba & Punta Laguna
- Meet the Coba pyramid, the biggest one in Yucatán, hidden in the heart of a luxuriant forest. Climb to its top for a breathtaking view on the surrounding nature and lakes. You will then cool off in a beautiful cenote.
- Have a lunch with a Mayan family from Coba and go to explore the Punta Laguna reserve, the sanctuary of the spider monkey. You will spend the night in Tulum.
Day 10 - Sian Ka'an Reserve
- Visit the popular Sian Ka'an natural reserve in a totally personalized way thanks to Luis, at your own pace. You will discover lost ruins, and navigate your way through the lagoons and the sea to watch many species of birds and aquatic animals (dolphins, rays, sea turtles, tropical fish, crocodiles, ...). You will snorkel in the coral reef, relax in a natural swimming pool, and finally, go to a homestay in Punta Allen to share a traditional meal! You will spend the night in Tulum.
Day 11 - Tulum et Cenote
- You will visit the Tulum ruins at sunrise, to admire a magnificent panorama against the backdrop of the Caribbean Sea. After this, Luis will take you to one of the area's most impressive sites: the Santa Cruz cenote, a network of underground caves where you will be able to swim.
- Then it's off to Akumal, where you will share a delicious meal overlooking the sea before you go swimming and snorkeling in the bay. You will be able to observe sea turtles and other marine species. You will spend the night in Tulum.
Day 12 - Transfer Tulum - Cancún Airport
Even the best things have an end. In the morning, Luis will take you back to the Cancún airport for your flight.